Now I hope that you've realized that I haven't been writing about Russia quite as much. I have told you that when I feel happy, I miss nowhere, and when I'm sad, I miss everywhere. This is just the way things work for me. Lots of things have happened that have shook things up (the meaning of that previous poem being one of them.) But i hope that you can bear with me. Ever since covid I've become more absorbed in my stories. I daresay God used covid to push me to write more. It must be true. It was one of the few constants I had and suddenly I found myself pouring adventurous spirits into my characters when I could hardly do that myself. Thankfully my imagination is wild and it just had me pulling through (ok, God pulled me through. Thankyou God. He had inspired me to write, and confirmed it near the end of 2019, saying "keep writing" through an excited, pregnant woman whose name I dont remember.) I still feel sometimes like it has left a few mental scars on me. There will be some odd children coming out of my gneration, particularly down south. Like during The Great Depression. Keep connected, and not through the flipping internet. Oh wait, I'm being tracked here, lol.
Ok, so let me just tell you, I've been writing, lots of stories of different types, and I'll share some with you now.
P.S: there's this amazing things called copy and paste, but they're mine.
Ten-eyed Firework.
Eyes,
hearts and guts.
Everyone
has a story that deserves acceptance. Some have access to making the dream come
true, others aren’t so lucky. Some will paint their story, tells it around a
campfire or scribble it in the dust, never to be seen by the outside world. But
we all have a story, easily appreciated, easily forgotten.
Francesca’s
story should never be forgotten.
If
she were writing this story, it would be punched out in braille on her
typewriter, with the small dots you find on butter packages, toilet signs, on dollar
bills. Because my friends Francesca was blind.
If
she told this story it would be slightly different than the way I see it. But
we all see with our hearts, and we all see something different.
I
am the eyes of her best friend. She deserved that friendship too, all the
attention and time together and loving care – every one of us does. I had
always hoped she would see God, with her heart. I still do.
There
came a day like any other. I recall sitting with my friends, Melvin and Amy.
They are both truly incredible people, who also deserve a story. Perhaps
someone else will write them, or I’ll write about them another time. But I know
Francesca far better.
I
met Melvin near the start of the year. My Mum has always said to be the friend
to people who need one. Melvin needed a friend. We talked for a long, long time
when we first met. He would show me a book of illusions he had – pictures with
the capacity to tug us to the edge of our perception of the world, our little
glass boxes. His laugh was strong and clear. He drew comics, long actions
stories full of little pictures, quickly drawn with clever humour behind them.
He is an excellent artist. We both like drawing.
One
of his greatest prized possessions was his magic cards. He valued them more
than gold, maybe more than diamonds. When he played with these cards, he would
come out of his shell, confusing and dazzling everyone. Even the “popular” kids,
who got along with hardly anyone. They would never know because a magician
never reveals his secrets. Sometimes he’d tell me how they work; I couldn’t
ever figure it out myself. I can’t tell you how he did it. A magician’s friend
never reveals her secrets.
Amy
was also my friend. She has a beautiful high-pitched voice. Sometimes I’d wish
she’d use it for more beautiful songs. The words were ugly, sadly. She has her
head so buried in fanfiction. I tried to pull her out of her bleak world,
introduce her to the brighter side of life – the optimist I am- but she didn’t
want to. Maybe someday. It takes a village to raise a child, so I suppose it
will take more than just one friend.
My
Dad and her mum went to university together, so we were sort of stuck together.
Amy liked hugs, which was convenient because I do too.
Thanks
to some teenagers in my school, I was accused of being in a relationship with
both Melvin and Amy. They could at least pick one.
As
our friendships deepened, we hung out almost every recess and lunch. We hardly
left each others’ sides.
But
one time I stood up to throw my rubbish away, and I saw this other girl. She
needed a friend.
I
hate prejudice and ignorance, but unfortunately I’ve been both these things
myself.
She
had dark brown curls which hung free, an afro she had never seen. She was
leaning back on forth on the bench, chuckling jubilantly. In her hands, she
held a walking stick, from which hung a jumble of keys and tags she shook. She
found simple joy, even music – just in the jingle of her keys.
I
wasn’t ready then.
But
I felt a whisper, and urge to go talk to her, from God. I tried to ignore it,
thinking of some excuse. It was out of my comfort zone, talking to a girl laughing
on her own. Any excuse for going back to sitting with Melvin and Amy. They’ll
be wondering where I was, I assured myself.
And
so, the girl was left alone for another lunch.
Wisdom
That
evening after school, I had such a bad headache, which I think lead to a stomach-ache.
So
that evening I felt terribly sick and couldn’t detect why. God was trying to
shake things up, He was. I woke up in the night, upset by the lonely girl and
my stubbornness not to talk to her. I felt like a scaredy-cat. I wasn’t usually
intimidated by special people. My life is full of special people. No offence at
all. We are all different and it’s time people would just accept that.
The
last couple of weeks I’d had my grandparents over. My Mum is from Canada, as
are they. They were visiting, they stayed at our house for about a month. Sometimes
I’d sneak to their bedroom at like 10 pm and chat for ages, and Grandma and I
would share chocolate, those delicious m&m's in those chocolate squares. Grandpa
would “share” his disgusting orange flavoured dark chocolate.
There
are precious few nights when I can sneak into my grandparent’s bedroom in the
evening and keep talking about life. My Grandma is very wise. Grandpa is also
wise, in another way. I love them both so much. Someday, I'm going to go to
Canada for a while. When I'm 16 I'd be old enough to be there with them. I’d
tell Grandma my fears, and she’d listen. And she’d give advice that was just
humble and extremely helpful.
So,
when I woke in the middle of the night, I found Grandma. I told her about my
headache. She asked if I’d been stressed or worried that day. I said that I was
there was this special girl, and I felt I was supposed to be her friend, but I chickened
out and ignored her – and God.
Grandma
listened like she always does. She said I didn’t have to worry and didn’t have
to put pressure on myself to be this amazing friend always there for her, some
perfect role model. I could just be her friend, that’s all. She said if there
were just ten people who would come along and say hi, then she wouldn’t be
lonely.
She
tells me these sorts of wise things often, like how almost anyone will trade
security for freedom. Recently I’ve come to realise she’s right.
I
fell asleep after this.
Boldness at Lockers
I
didn’t know then that she is significantly older than me, technically an adult
now.
I
can remember one other event before I took this advice into practice, which was
in English class. Almost every teenager has some ceremony attached to their
locker. My friend Jasmine had all her stuff in neat, coloured folders. My
friend Paris had an eccentric peppering of loose leaves and books.
My
locker was somewhere in between the two. These days as I walk up to my locker,
I need to find a way to compress an hour’s worth of chatter and bubbles into a
minute, which is next to impossible. If I’m in a good mood - or a bad mood, I
may say a little quick prayer in my head, like please don’t let me fail this
Maths test, God, or thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot my
drink bottle. If I’m in any mood between the two, I’ll probably forget. It’ll
be something like -where did I put that English worksheet, or why is
my phone in my lunchbox, or why is my calculator out of my pencil case?
In
Melbourne, one girl near my locker had a peculiar habit of swearing at her
locker. She always said she would drop out in year 10 and become a plumber. I
hope she finds her passion.
Some
people do nothing at their locker but get their books. I can hardly be so dull
at my locker, it’s the only moment of free time between two lessons. It's the
perfect time to chat with people or organise either bringing fish to school; or
not bringing fish to school. Hopefully, we’ve managed to settle on the latter.
Francesca’s
locker looked quite different. Everyone had two shelves on theirs in my school
in Melbourne, a smaller one at the top and a larger one at the bottom. Some
people put their books at the top and some people put theirs at the bottom. I
didn’t carry a basketball to school - therefore my backpack didn’t need so much
space, it went on top. Francesca’s locker had two noticeable things in it, her
braille typewriter and her backpack. Everyone at my school was given a
combination lock. Francesca had a padlock instead, it worked so much better for
her. She could carry around her key on her walking stick and it was hard to
lose.
She
took longer to go to her locker. Longer than slackers. She also had a different
timetable, which meant that she was going to her locker at different times from
everyone else. One time she went to her locker in the middle of our English
lesson. And like almost every other teenager, she was making a fuss at her
locker. Either Margaret or Lisa – can’t remember who, both were her assistants
– was with her, and Francesca was a bit distracted and wanted to talk to her
assistant. She was quite loud as well and got easily distracted at her locker.
For some reason, some teenagers in my class thought this was funny - you could
hear her distinctly. However, so many teenagers act like that at their lockers,
it’s just that no one notices because so many others are doing the same thing.
Cameron
was sitting next to me; we were working in pairs. He was a good friend. I met
him on the first day of school while I was still looking for friends, and I was
sitting with Evelyn and Evelyn's Friend. Cameron is one of those boys that like
hanging out with girls, not because he wants to draw their attention, just
because he fits in more with girls, which is just fine. The teacher would often
refer to their group as girls, and he’d get annoyed and say, “I’m male.” The
same things would happen repeatedly. It never ceases to amaze me how people go
in circles in their little stupid patterns without realising it. Cameron was
that kind of guy, who was chatty, happy, bubbly, and not gay, and I’ll
respect that. Let him be himself. He was truly a nice person. If only people
wouldn't judge others in the first five seconds of meeting them.
As
Francesca was finally organised and heading off to her next lesson, Cameron
told me that Francesca was blind. I was surprised. Though it did explain a fair
bit.
Francesca
would often draw attention when she was at her locker. Some people are born to
stand out. Our circumstances shape us more than we want to admit. There are a
million things you can do, billions of things the world can do. Make yours
count.
Don’t
ever try to sneak past a blind person. It’s extremely rude, and they will feel
betrayed if you’re caught. I can’t put a finger on why this seems connected. I
might have tried to sneak past her a few times (dear Francesca, I am immensely
sorry and promise I won’t ever try that trick on a blind person again unless
there is a completely reasonable exception, which I doubt there will be.)
And
they have great senses of hearing and touch and taste and smell, so keep that
in mind.
One
time when Francesca was going to her locker, we were in English again, analysing
a movie (it's a perfect waste of time. Give me a book please.), and Francesca
called out “Is that Wall-e?” in like the least obvious moment in the movie, there
wasn’t at any scene, just the little in between. Either Eva whirred or Wall-e
beeped, which she recognised as Wall-e immediately. I was impressed. She must
have an incredible library of sounds in her mind, she can perfectly replicate a
dog’s bark and beatboxing.
Hello, it’s Abigail.
And
I just carried Grandma’s advice with me, and one day plucked up the courage to
speak to her.
In
the first few days that I knew her, whenever I walked up to her, my greeting
would be the same.
“Hi
Francesca, it’s Abigail.”
I
realise that when I write emails to people I haven’t caught up within a while
or people who had just given me their email, that tends to be my little hello.
Her
face would light up, every corner would show flickers of pure joy, expect for
her empty light blue eyes, which reminded me of marbles, or doll’s eyes. The
fake eyes never blinked, they froze thoughtlessly, never revealing what was
going on in the mind right behind them.
She’d
be like, “Hi Abigail.” And she was so overjoyed to see me. Seeing involved
touching my face sometimes, which I didn’t mind, it was so innocent anyway, and
she for once had the right.
It
wasn’t long before she learnt the sound of my voice, and I’d only need to say
hi, and her voice would ring like a jubilant melody, “hi Abigail,” little bubbles
fizzing underneath.
At
first, I thought of my friendship with this happy girl as a sort of service for
her, I wasn’t sure she’d be able to give back. It wasn’t long before I realised
this was dumb. Anyone with a heart, with a soul - can colour a friendship.
My
Dad had always said that everyone is a person worth getting to know. The Jews
have saying in the Talmud says that anyone who saves a life is as if he saved
an entire world. Francesca was an entire world. All of us secrets deep down
that no other person is ever going to read, but Francesca was a person with
many riches buried, many ideas springing forth, joy and ingenuity and pain.
Many people were scared to get to know her, just because of her doll eyes and
her untameable spirit, and we claim we don’t conform…
Carlton- the fun, the dreams, the tragedy.
Whether
or not we want to admit it, I have a feeling we all have an imaginary friend.
Not necessarily someone we spend all our time with, just a little role model
you conjured in your head, or a celebrity crush. Maybe an actual imaginary
friend, but there’s no shame in that either. Even though I was friends with
Francesca, she had an imaginary friend she named Carlton.
I
carefully tried to explain to her that Carlton was a whole team, not just a
person. But she wasn’t convinced. But if you watch an AFL game with your eyes
closed, it wouldn’t be far-fetched - if you didn’t already know there were two
teams kicking a ball around – that there were cheering for two different
superstars. Francesca went for this super cool guy called Carlton.
She
would yell out “Carlton” sometimes when she was outside. Other teenagers do
that too, they just generally pick different words to yell out. Hers were preferable,
most of the time.
She
kind of had a crush on him. I have a crush on an imaginary character too,
Gilbert in “Anne of Green Gables” (I prefer the Gilbert in the tv show. Usually
book are better, but the tv show isn’t from Anne’s perspective, who hates him
until she loves him. He’s just cute the whole time.)
She
would also describe her dreams to me, which were the most peculiar things. She
might have only told me one, I’m not sure, but I remember one distinctly. It
was about this superstar named Carlton and her, and they were riding on a
rubber horse. (I used to have a rubber horse. It was bright red and jumpy. I
had it when I was like five, but I still remember it. I used to grab its
donkey-like ears and treat them like reins. I can almost feel the ears in my
hands, it was like one of my favourite toys. But then we moved, or I grew out
of it, I think it’s both, and we got rid of it, which was so sad.)
She
described to me the bounciness of the ride and stuff like the breeze and
different smells. But her dream was like a replicated feeling you’d carefully
memorise with your eyes closed to focus on other things, not like my dreams. I
fly in my dreams. And talk a lot.
Sometimes
her imaginary crush was someone she would fantasize about, other items it
seemed to me she though Carlton was real. It seemed serious at times, again and
again I’d tried to explain to her that Carlton wasn’t a person, it was a
football team, she couldn’t meet him. I hadn’t managed to convince her, and it
was heartbreaking.
One
time I felt so convinced that she didn’t understand what was going on in the
real world - her crush on Carlton was no longer a celebrity crush, she was
falling in love with him. One time I felt so overwhelmed by her supposed
passion for this guy, who she met in her dreams, I ran away. I didn’t want
anyone to talk to me. I don’t remember what time of day this was, but I didn’t
want anyone to see me. I just got off a far as I could within the school
property from people I knew. I was technically out of bounds, behind the year 9
area, where no one really hung out. Some other year nines were walking past me,
a sobbing curled up girl sitting on the grass, sniffing. There were some things
that Francesca just wouldn’t understand.
When
people ask me what’s wrong, I either tell them it’s nothing, and walk away, sugar-coat
its angrily, explain things slowly, or maybe just let it all out. When I pour
it all out it tends to make others listening feel awkward - because I’m usually
such a happy person, and they want me to calm down, but it’s hard to. When the
year nines asked what was wrong, I just told them everything. It didn’t come
out quite right, all the words came out in a rapid, raw jumble and so they just
didn’t understand what was gnawing at my heart. For them it was just awkward.
And
then they told me a story. It wasn’t always that Francesca was the odd one out
in the school. Yes, she was blind from birth. But there used to be a boy at our
school, also blind. Francesca and he were best friends, and they used the walk
together on the oval. I was shocked to hear of this time where Francesca was so
confident in her steps that she would go all the way out to the oval.
It
was hard to convince Francesca to take a few steps the rubbish bin, yet alone
all the way the oval on the other side of the school was unthinkable. I tried
to imagine this world, where Francesca had a friend that understood her. There
is a difference between empathy and sympathy - and as hard I tried to be
Francesca’s close friend, I could never have more that empathy for her. The boy
could have sympathy because he has gone through blindness himself.
Sometimes,
I would ask Francesca if I could borrow her walking stick, just for a second. I
would get up, close my eyes, and try to walk. It would never be the same, because
I had seen the place before and didn’t have her experience as a “sighted”
person, as Francesca would say. I would get this urge to open my eyes and I felt
a lot more cautious to take a step, even with a stick to swipe across the
ground to avoid bumping into something. Sometimes, I would open my eyes, I rely
on them too much. But it’s not sympathy, because I’m not blind.
I’m
pretty sure the boy that the year nines were talking about was a year level
ahead of Francesca, and that’s why he moved. Or he might have gone to a school
for the blind. Francesca would tell me about them, how some is that went there
were blind from birth, some had acquired blindness, some having one
dysfunctional eye. I wonder where the boy that they brought up was named
Carlton, because apparently Carlton is also a last name. A lot of people down
south are pretty AFL obsessed. “which team do you barrack for?”, and they’d
assume you’d meant the AFL. It’s like our new “4 new cases in Whatever-State”,
and we know what they are talking about. Maybe Carlton was a person.
Frustration
She
did tend to swear, and I mean a lot of swearing, she even taught me a couple
words - words that I’ve never needed to use.
I tried to convince her not to say these words, because their meanings
aren’t too pretty, but it didn’t work. She had this twitchy disorder some
people have, a greater urge to let out these building up emotions instead of
burying them down. At least that’s the way I understand it.
The
teacher would scold her often for yelling swear words, and it would make me
wonder why often didn’t bother to tell other teens to watch their
language. It doesn’t seem fair. It seems
she had to learn to not swear before she could swear, which doesn’t make much
sense when other teenagers swear, especially since she was older than us
(except for the teachers.) Perhaps her parents had asked them to do so.
One
time I was sitting with Francesca and she swore. Mr Mastro (his full last name
was Mastrolembo, but people just mispronouncing it or forgetting it. He was our
English teacher and one of Francesca’s favourite teachers too. I suppose he had
taught her at some point as well.) and Ms Sword (She was the school’s food tech
teacher, and I was on her bad side. I’m rather clumsy and I would mess up the
recipe and she’d look at me smugly and say I’d need to start it over, which was
very annoying, especially when my cooking partner got annoyed with my
clumsiness. I hated cooking for a while because of her.), well, both were on
yard duty and were walking by when Francesca spat a horrid word out.
The
teachers heard her and warned her not to say words like, that, or Abigail (me)
wouldn’t hang out with her anymore. That didn’t happen, I kept being her friend
and sitting with her. I didn’t enjoy her swearing, but I didn’t enjoy her
company. I was a little more sincere when I asked her to stop though. I didn’t
want the teacher to separate us, though I wasn’t sure whether they could. They
took more care of Francesca than they did of the other teenagers.
Sight on fingertips - and tastebuds.
I
found all these skills she had developed fascinating, but other people couldn’t
get past the fact they she couldn’t see. This one girl, Ada, took pleasure in
teasing Francesca. I was infuriated. Not as much as I would be now, I’m bolder
than before.
But
Francesca had her own way of standing up for herself. It didn’t involve
backlashing unlike some peoples’ techniques, she just said something witty that
there’s virtually no way to argue with.
One
time Ada came up to Francesca and asked if she could see. She already knew the
answer, the news of her blindness just spread in the school. Some people take
pleasure in asking irrelevant question, especially if they know that answers to
them. Because then they can’t be outsmarted. Except they can be. So, Ada asked
Francesca if she could see, and Francesca said she could. This had Ada stumped.
“With
your eyes?” she asked.
“No,”
Francesca replied calmly, perhaps a little smug, “I see with my fingers.”
A
glint shimmered in her cheeks, but her eyes remained empty. I could imagine Margaret
telling her this assuredly, nurturing confidence in her. Francesca’s was very
close to Margaret. Perhaps her parents had told her this. Francesca, blind from
birth, would need this sort of comfort – even at a young age.
Francesca
could see lots of things with her fingers. She knew her braille typewriter so
well, sometimes I could hear Lisa tell her what phrase she would need to write
next, and I could hear the loud, rapid click of the buttons as they punched
holes into paper.
Francesca
also made this piece of artwork, which was on the wall near her desk in the
corner of the art room. It had also sorts of things glued to the picture, a labyrinth
of different things to touch and explore. Cotton buds, pipe cleaners, glitter,
all forming a unique, yet beautiful picture. Ordinary to the eyes, exquisite to
your fingertips. Another beautiful form of art.
Francesca
would often ask me what type of snack she had. We were outside, sitting on the
bench just outside the year 7 area. A short gum tree hangs above, bright pink flowers
peeping out of greenish-brown gumnuts. The sound of basketballs accompanies our
chatter. Francesca fingers a zip-lock bag with cherry tomatoes in it.
“Are
these grapes or cherry tomatoes?” she asked.
“Cherry
tomatoes,” I answered.
She
was immensely disappointed.
“I
hate cherry tomatoes,” she spat.
She
was one of those people who is obsessed with something for a bit and then it
becomes old and revolting to bring up again.
Like
my friend Tannika, bubbly, red-haired and bossy. If a new song was released,
we’d need to hear it at least five times that day, and in a couple of months it
was old and we wouldn’t hear it again. I’d ask her to play a song “Airplanes,”,
which I was trying to understand. We were 30 seconds through and then she got
sick of the song and went back to her new favourite, “Meant To Be”. “I don’t
usually like country music,” She explained hurriedly, “but this is an
exception.”
I
like lots of different styles of music. Pop (if it’s not too whiny and soppy),
rock, hip-hop, country, rap, pop-rock, techno (just don’t break my ears with
too much shattered sound effects), you name it. Music is good, I’m just more
about the motivation of the song, as I can get pretty picky when it comes to lyrics.
Or
maybe she was one of those people who have parents that can’t keep up with your
changing tastes, or your friends. “So, Mahalia and I-” I’d say, and I’d be
interrupted by my Dad “who’s Mahalia?” and my answer is always “Mahalia is
Mahalia”, or whoever it is. I make friends too quickly for Dad to keep up.
Sometimes
Francesca would get so upset about her cherry tomatoes she would throw them on
the ground. Out of touch, out of mind. The same went for banana peels and wood
chips kicked out of the garden. Margaret or some of the other staff would tell
her off for this, but it took a long time to convince her not to throw stuff
onto the ground. Sometimes I’d try to coax her into getting up and throwing the
rubbish away in the bin a few steps away from where we sat. She didn’t like to
go that far at first. I assumed I had always been this way. Eventually I would
pick up the banana peel and throw it away myself, because I didn’t want her to squash
it under her feet, which she found fun (Margaret would tell her not to do that
as well). Or I didn’t want people to make fun of a banana peel at her feet.
Apart from that a banana peel on the floor isn’t exactly a pleasant view and it’s
resolved easily.
Sometimes
Francesca would ask me what the punnet of cherry tomatoes said. I would wonder
why the brand would matter, but I’d answer “Driscoll’s” or sometimes “Perino’s”.
It didn’t make sense to me, and I found it awkward. I often find it awkward to
name things by their advertising names. Sometimes you pronounce it wrong or
perhaps I’m afraid of miscommunicating. My brother is quite the opposite, sometimes
he’d ask for the “Heinz ketchup”, and I’d answer, “tomato sauce.” Things only
got worse when they decided to make Ed Sheerin face a tomato on the tomato
sauce for a bit.
Sooner
or later I worked out that Francesca could tell the difference between
the different brands, and so she would ask in anticipation. Perhaps they have different
farming techniques which changes things up a bit. This is probably what happens
to the potatoes in Australia, they are hard, firm and take much longer to cook
than the ones in Russia. It’s probably how much they are watered, or even just
the better-quality soil in Russia. The Russians call the good soil “black”.
And
Francesca had such sensitive tastebuds she could distinguish between Perino’s
and Driscoll’s cherry tomatoes. If I remember correctly the Perino’s ones were better.
She would also ask me what her meat pies said. “Brumby’s” were a clear
favourite. If she found put her meat pie was from the specific bakery, it would
make her day. She would make me nervous as she ate it. Because she couldn’t see
the meat pie, the meat would hang precariously on the floppy pastry and I was afraid
it would fall on her lap. I’d point this out occasionally when it looked like
it was about to fall, but I soon learnt the meat pies are much stronger than
they look. Not once do I remember a chunk falling off. Which goes to show that
there is a bit of sanity to Australians considering meat pies street
food.
Chicago
Soon
enough, Francesca was over Carlton and found a new obsession in an imaginary character
named “Chicago”, which seems ever more far-fetched as one person, considering
it’s an entire American state. Though again, she might have got the idea of
“Chicago” from a sports team based there, basketball or something.
Another close friend of ours, Jasmine, was
incredible at basketball and would train almost every afternoon. Her older
brother is in Australia’s national wheelchair basketball team. Jasmine and I have
a lot in common. We have both got brothers who are somewhat handicapped in our
society, (my brother is autistic. Not a sickness, just such an extreme
difference. Things don’t come quite as easy as for others), we’re both Christians,
and we’re both a little odd - just those little quirks (we had quite
different ones, but we’re overall bubbly), so we learned to accept each other.
Jasmine was a good friend and I hope we can keep in touch, which is hard since
she didn’t have a mobile phone and so she gave me her mum’s one. Her mum is a
quite busy woman, I think she’d involved in counselling or something. We desperately need to catch up and I’m
hoping she finally has a mobile phone.
It’s
possible that Jasmine’s fascination with basketball rubbed off on Francesca.
It’s possible that she enjoyed the sound of the primary school children playing
basketball because of her. I haven’t thought about it before, but maybe
it was the reason “Chicago” came about. Or is that baseball?
Jasmine
was also a good friend of Francesca. Jasmine and I got to know each because of
her. Sometimes when I hung out with Francesca, she would ask me to go and find
Jasmine for her. She was too nervous to go searching for her herself. So I
would leave Francesca for a bit and go towards the Food Tech area, and holler:
“Jasmine,
Francesca wants you.”
If
I couldn’t find her, I’d ask around. There was always a bit of trouble with
this because there were two Jasmines in our year level and at first, I had a
hard time learning Jasmine’s last name, it was Yugoslavian, or Maltese I
suppose. So at first Jasmine was Jasmine “with the glasses”. That’s another
thing we had in common, come to think of it. Glasses.
Jasmine
was a very good listener, which was exactly what Francesca needed. I can listen
to people too, but not as well as Jasmine. She probably got that from her mum. Francesca
would often try to imitate Jasmine earlier on when I wanted to know who she was
asking for. She wasn’t bad at it. Make that pretty good, I’d do much worse. Jasmine
had a soothing, caring voice. Except for when she was excited or chattering
about a book or about God, then her voice got more excited.
And
Francesca crafted another game, this time about Chicago. I preferred that game about
Chicago, it has more rhythm to it. Francesca would yell “Chicago, Chicago,” in
a loud, sing-song exuberant voice, then blow a humongous, hilarious raspberry.
She was so insistent she got others to join in. When the game involved more
than one person, we would yell “Chicago”, and she would blow one long raspberry
on behalf of all of us. She even got Ada and her “friends” to play.
But
Francesca’s chants just got better and better. The next one I remember her
making up was about “Alvin and the chipmunks”. Their voices are immensely
irritating. Thankfully, Francesca couldn’t imitate the chipmunks. I think those
voice actors need special microphones. Francesca wouldn’t need one, if she
tried hard enough.
And
I cant quite tell you what her chant was like, but she would yell “Alvin and
the chipmunks, Alvin and the chipmunks,” but this time it had more rhythm to
it, even without raspberries. I would tell my friend Grace about Francesca’s
originality and simple joys, and how much of a natural leader she was. My
parents have known Grace’s parents for ages, longer than we’ve been alive. When
we moved back to Melbourne from my first chapter of life in Russia, she was one
of the first people to make friends with me. We had to get to know each other
again, I didn’t remember her, I must confess. We would go to youth group
together every week, get mistaken for sisters, play pranks on the kids – such
as me speaking Russian and Grace speaking German, and us supposedly communicating
in some mysterious language. Grace’s mum pointed out that Francesca probably
liked the chipmunks’ voices because they were easy to recognise.
I
realised her love for music, especially for the song “Firework”. Come to think
of it, I can’t remember whether it was her who first brought up the song, or
me. She would sing it loud too. She would get her plastic bag from her snack
and sing “do you ever feel like a plastic bag?” On “plastic bag”, she would change her voice
to a more deflated tone as she slapped the blown-up bag in her hands, popping
the balloon she’d made. I didn’t think that something as cheap, shallow, and
modern as a plastic bag could be mentioned in a song. The way she altered the tone
of her voice at “plastic bag” made me think she changed the song. Welcome to
pop culture, where plastic bags are worthy of songs. Ada would tell me that
that’s truly how the song goes. I didn’t believe her until I found the lyrics. Why
would I believe her when she lies about who she is to Francesca’s face, just
because she can? That was cruel.
Grace
would often say that I didn’t know much pop culture. People still say that. Mostly
I can’t be bothered to explore pop culture, so I just stick with my music. I
know a lot of worship thanks to Grace and my friend Amara, and other people. One
time at youth group I’m pretty sure I won a “guess the song” competition (the
results were chaotic, because teenagers are chaotic. It’s a bit beside the
point). That was pretty fun. If it were mainstream music stuff, I wouldn’t
stand a chance.
Worship
and Christian music are a different story. Well my friend is so tall, she could
probably be taller than Katy Perry, maybe even with heels. That may be a slight
exaggeration. I’m not sure. Amara is half Samoan, so I reckon that helps. I
have a feeling she would a lot more a part of this story if she was a
“normal-schooler”. She’s home-schooled. I knew her from athletics, which
Francesca wouldn’t be too good at. I saw her playing sport once, bouncing a basketball
with her teacher, Lisa. Javelin is another matter. Apparently home-schooling
illegal in Germany. Funny, Grace and Amara got along so well for a few days.
It’s a small world, after all. On the other hand, Mum needed meds for me when I
was in her to grow big enough. I’m barely 1.6 metres now.
Chill,
girl. I can write pages about virtually nothing. This isn’t waffle.
So,
I needed the lyrics for the song. I wouldn’t muck around so much with the printer,
unlike some teenagers who would print memes without permission. In colour. But
they got a certain mount of money per term for printing, so it was their responsibility.
One time I printed the lyrics of “Firework”, so I could memorise them.
This wasn’t school related, so I felt self-conscious picking it up from the printer.
Thankfully the printers weren’t at the front office as they are up here in
Darwin. I planned out printing it alongside some of my schoolwork, so
that no one would notice.
But then something went terribly wrong with
the plan, I think the paper ran out and so only the lyrics were left.
Frantically I hid the page in a scattering of loose leaves accidentally printed
by impatient teenagers and other stuff no one accepted. I was such a good
student, and I didn’t want anyone asking why I printed “Firework”. I wouldn’t
mind as much these days. Eventually I picked up the lyrics with my schoolwork,
the song sandwiched into my work, carefully flicked into my laptop case. I
brought it out to Francesca even though she couldn’t read it, so that I could
learn the words and in turn teach them to her.
Francesca
never learnt all the lyrics, but sometimes we would need to sing the song at
the end of recces or lunch. She found it so hard to part with me then, sometimes
we would have to sing “Firework”, and I’d give her plenty of hugs, and
eventually she would get back to class. Sometimes Margaret or Lisa would need
to come along and hurry her. We sung it for the sake of it, but she never seemed
to learn all the lyrics. I wonder whether punching them into paper would have
helped her learn them. Maybe she just
wanted to hear me sing.
Sighted People
A
gleaming gold watch encompassed Francesca’s wrist. She leaned into it with a chuckle
and pressed a button.
“The
time is 4:45am,” it spoke in a monotonous, artificial voice. Francesca giggled.
“And
this is for sighted people,” she explained “You turn the little knob here.”
Francesca
turned the knob. The arrows behind the panel of glass lapped the clock.
“Turn
it, “she insisted. So, I did. (Ok, that’s not exactly what happened, but
I’m no robot.)
The
watch was completely useless, apart from for her amusement. She would often
press the button and listen to its voice or turn the little knob. What if she
was listening to her watch to keep her company? And she didn’t even know what
sight was, but she thought it had something to do with touch.
Touch
was so important to the girl that if I stopped talking or reminding her I was
there with a hand on her knee or my head on her shoulder, she would forget I
was there. One time I was quiet (One time - it may sound right,
but it’s not. I’m serious, for once. I can be quiet). I was enjoying sitting
together, the sound of the basketballs in the background, and she thought I was
gone. Or she thought Jasmine was gone - I can’t remember. If we’re being completely
honest, it’s probably Jasmine.
“I
wish I could see,” she once said. I thought about that often. Before bed, in
worship, in the car. I thought about how Jesus had healed the blind, and how
some people have been filled with the Holy Spirit overseas and God had done
miracles through them (Melbourne is pretty asleep right now, that’s why
I say overseas. If we’re talking about the Top End, that’s another
story. Dad met a guy in Mataranka whose uncle or cousin, I think cousin – got
risen from the dead.) I wanted to pray for Francesca, God wanted me to pray for
her, but I was too shy. I realise now that I don’t need miracles to confirm God’s
existence, and the “lack” thereof doesn’t prove the opposite.
I
trust God because I can, and He totally deserves his ultimate position of God
when I reflect on my life. Miracles, miracles everywhere. The stars, mountains
and planets. Yet also in fingerprints, leaf patterns and cell structure. He
creates it all, and if that’s not a miracle, I don’t know what is. I pray
because I’m filled with God’s love and care, not to I’m basing my faith in
specific things. I try to remind myself I’m almost home, that things will
become clearer soon. I heard this is a song, look up Steffany Gretzinger, if
you’re interested. A few times I tried to tell her about how amazing Jesus was
to me, how he loved her, as she is. I asked her if she wanted to know more, or something
like that.
“No,”
she answered, “I prefer Postman Pat.”
Man,
that girl was obsessed with Postman Pat and his black-and-white cat, even though
she didn’t know what “black and white” meant. But Postman Pat does have a
pretty kind voice. I hope she discovers more about God. I hope we all do. His
love is limitless.
Francesca
had no need for a watch (neither does God, by the way). Her assistants,
parents, and the school bells were enough to stay on schedule with. Sort of. If
five minutes late every time, (or so it seemed, she did take a while at her
locker) counts as on time. Francesca also told me that she ate her breakfast in
the car on the way. I know that’s a bit random but I often think of that as
running behind schedule (as in, when I’m not quick enough to get ready, I snatch some toast into the front seat on the
way to school). I tell you this now because I don’t have much left to tell you.
“When
I grow up,” she told me dreamily. “I want to be a barista.”
My
Dad said that sounded like a job she would be good at. The sound of the froth,
the smell or the coffee. Once she learned, she would be so good at it. She can
play piano better than I can type (Actually, way better. You should see
the pre-edited version on this story, see if you can make out English), for
crying out loud, she’s cotton pickin’ (that’s Jasmine’s grandpa’s expression)
amazing at it. I hope she chases her dream. And doesn’t ever, ever forget it. Just
like the rest of us. Oh, and don’t be afraid to have a new dream. If you have
more than one, just keep chasing the ones you can and the ones you don’t need
as much will fade. Sometimes - would you believe it - all your dreams can work
together in one big dream. For one bigger one. A much, much bigger dream.
Farewell, Francesca.
Francesca
was never the best at explaining. As it was with Carlton. I thought I understood
it then, that Carlton was imaginary, but now I’m having second guesses. Francesca
was smarter than she looks, probably smarter than we’ll ever know. Her development
has been slowed down in some areas, but it’s also increased in others. Apparently
explaining wasn’t one of them.
Eventually
I managed to put the pieces together, and I was horrified. Francesca was
moving. I tried to imagined why this sounded uneventful coming from her. Her family’s
voices would be there. I suppose she would have to ditch the few mental maps
she had made of places, but if wouldn’t be as much if a difference. Why had it
taken so long for her to tell me?
She
was moving back to Italy. She had lived there until she was about five, or nine
– I’m not great with numbers. I know what it’s like to move “back” to a place.
Like when we came back to Australia three years ago, at the airport. August 31st,
2017. That dreadful day. It’d one of the few dates I can remember. Oh, and that
this story is due this Friday. We arrived in the airport, and all our friends,
people I barely recognised, cried happily, “Welcome back!”, giving hugs. At first,
I was happy. There were balloons. But honestly, I would have preferred to
collapse into the arms of someone I truly knew, and weep. I would have gotten
over my grief easier that way. A part if
me had died then and there wasn’t even a funeral.
There was the little “honeymoon” phase, as Mum
calls it – when everything seems so sweet. In a couple of months, I was over
it, that welcome disgusted me. They just didn’t understand. Moving “back” to a
place wasn’t easy. I didn’t know that place. My brother sort of understands but
we moved for him (on second thoughts it was probably harder for him,
even though I like Russia more than him). My sister doesn’t remember Russia–
all she has left are stories. (Sure, she remembers. Grandpa’s cousin
“remembers” seeing England “through mummy’s belly button”). My parents can see lots
of changes in Australia. It’s safer, stricter, colder. I never knew the
Australia beforehand, but I believe them.
“When
are you moving?” I’d ask several times.
“Soon,”
she would reassure me.
“Well,
please ask your parents when you’re moving, ok?” I’d beg.
The
next day I would get the same answer. So, I was afraid someday she would just
be gone.
Sometimes
I’d return to class all sentimental, convinced that that was it, my final
goodbye. It became harder for me to leave for class than it was for Francesca.
We’d sing “Firework” even more often, and there’d be plenty of hugs, and “Jesus
loves you. Please remember that.” Or something like that. Sometimes I was so
convinced she had left, I cried silently. But it was a false alarm. It was so embarrassing.
Why couldn’t Francesca find out when she was leaving?
One
time she was sick for almost a week, and again I thought she was gone. I asked
the teachers and I found out she hadn’t, but they didn’t seem too certain when
she was leaving - just “not yet”.
I
think it was Lisa and Margret that finally made it clear. When we found out, I
didn’t want her goodbye to be silent. Fireworks never go out that way. (by the
way, she’s fine. She’s living a life in Italy. I’ve talked a couple times to
her, but it’s hard to keep in touch since I can’t write to her. She even played
piano for me over that phone. It was gorgeous.)
I
beg poetic licence from this point. I’ll stick the facts but don’t take quotes
for granted.
“We
should organise a farewell party!” I suggested happily, in a sense. With that
feeling that there should be a celebration, “who should we invite?”
Ok,
imagine two minutes past in deep, silent thinking.
“Gemma,
Cameron, Jasmine,” she said. It took ages to get the idea together.
“Anyone
else?” I asked.
“Jasmine,”
she answered after a pause, smiling.
It got confusing, but I figured out who she wanted
to invite. I was still nervous that there would be some people who didn’t turn
up and she’d be disappointed.
“Well,
let’s go find Jasmine and invite her to the party.” I said.
Things
were changing. I’d seen her to the bathroom once before, but I’d never seen her
walk so far. She gripped my hard tightly, swiping her walking stick across the
ground. We walked steadily.
I
kept telling her we were going to find Jasmine, it was fine. She seemed more
eager to walk. Lots of people seemed surprised to see her up.
She
happily hollered “Jasmine!” I joined in.
We
found her and cried, “You’re invited to Francesca’s farewell party!” I’m not
sure we managed to find Gemma and Cameron. I suppose I invited them myself for
Francesca, since they were in my class. When Margaret and Lissa found out about
it, they were overjoyed. I could tell they wanted to make this happen desperately.
How was this going to happen?
“So,
I’ll get the snacks, and you and Abigail can stay with Francesca,” Lisa said to
Margaret.
“We’re
having it at school?” I asked, confused.
“We’re
the teachers” Margaret said, looking off into the distance, a little firmly but
it was with good intentions. She smiled, “we can do what we want.”
Lisa
was gone for a couple of hours, maybe not hours, (after all, the Coles
was nearby. I walked past it on the way to school). But she was gone for a bit,
and Margaret was doing something. Suddenly I oversaw helping Francesca to her locker.
Just once. I was willing to try something new - especially since I yearned for
this farewell party to happen. I kept reminding Francesca to focus, and get her
stuff Margret came back, satisfied. Lisa was also back.
“Abigail
was so quick helping Francesca to her locker,” Lisa remarked, surprised.
“She’s
good,” Margret nodded solemnly, approvingly.
It
was near the end of Food Tech. We had just finished cooking, and my dish came
out in one piece, which was impressive. I was sitting with Cameron and Gemma. I
think we were doing some boring work reflecting. Reflecting is always boring.
Margaret steps into the room, through the door at the back of the music room.
“Can
I grab Abigail, Cameron and Gemma?”
Ms
Sword nodded with her plastered-on smile. Many teenagers liked Ms Sword. I
often felt like she was a bit self-righteous. The main reason was probably her
long blonde hair that she wore down when we had to wear ours up. It was such a
relief to be out of boring Food Tech. I know some people like it, which makes
sense – food is great. But I used to like maths (as long Ms Deb doesn’t go
telling everyone about my story (she did that last time.) Maybe I could
tell you why. But I’m not taking any chances.)
When
I stepped into the Music room, Francesca was just finishing a music lesson with
Ms Wilson. She was incredible. Just the teacher’s smile let me know her
performance was astounding. Cameron and Gemma tagged along.
Together
we set up a table, and Francesca sat nearby eagerly. Lisa got out Francesca’s favourite
snacks – gummy bears, chocolate muffins, and salt and vinegar chips. Taste is
more valuable to her. I have to agree with her about salt and vinegar chips,
they’re delicious.
“Is
anyone missing?” Margret asked.
“Jasmine.”
I answered.
“Where
is she?”
“I’m
not sure. She’s in 7H.”
Everyone
was a bit confused until Cameron suggested they were in some other class. Gemma
and Cameron left to go get Jasmine. I stayed with Francesca. They soon came
back with Jasmine. She gasped at the table of snacks and us waiting keenly (no
doubt she was also happy to get out of class.)
Lisa
took a photo of everyone together.
“Smile
for the camera!” Margaret said cheerily to Francesca. She grinned, her mouth
widening and her eyes still hollow to any expression.
“Silly
girl,” Margaret drooled.
Francesca
babbled about her snacks, insisting that everyone grab some.
“Have
you noticed that Francesca doesn’t swear as much yet? She says sugar instead.” Margaret
chirped.
“You
taught her well,” Lisa smiled.
The
room was filled with happy chatter and wishing luck. We were all together at
las.t odd is an excellent way to bring people together. The bell rung but we
stayed inside for lunch, telling stories. Listening to Francesca, asking her
what she knew about Italy so far.
“Let’s
sing Firework,” I suggested. Francesca brightened.
“Find
it on youtube,” I suggested. Jasmine searched it up on Lisa’s phone. I sung
along. I didn’t want to say goodbye to my dear friend, a Firework. The song echoes
still.
Baby
you’re a firework,
Come
on let your colour burst,
Make
‘em go oh, oh, oh
You’re
gonna leave ‘em all in awe.
Comments
Post a Comment