On inspiration of a prompt Emma found, I wrote this. It deserves a poem, I reckon. 

20. We sat in the car, waiting for Mum to come back from the groceries. My Dad talks to my Grandma.

19. I’d always known my Grandma was wisdom on earth, but she said something then that I will never forget. 

18. “Almost anyone would trade their freedom for security,” - hide in houses, wear masks, elbow with sneezed-on elbows.

17. Wait for light at the end of the tunnel to approach – ironically, trains move, not tunnel entrances.

16. Dad drives, Dad and I chat. The little purple virus is finished here, the mentality isn’t.

15. “Australia has changed since I was a kid,” he says, “but they’ve never known freedom.”

14. I don’t know what to say. “Well, we’ve never fought for freedom,” I agree.

13. America has, we both said. Many countries have fought for freedom. Australia hasn’t.

12. Some immigrants light fireworks in their backyards. “They won’t notice,” they say.

11. Most white people have a mindset as if everything they did

10. Was caught on video tape, judged as good or bad.

9. “But the government has helped us in the past,

8. They must be doing what’s good for us.”

7. But times change, and many are still

6. Like convicts deep down, shrinking back

5. From online judgement, our floggings.

4. We don’t know it’s

3.Always possible to

2. Choose, meaning

1. Freedom. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog