We played outdoors heaps. Most of the times Mum would let us roam within the playground and the nearby grass and trees which surrounded the school. Sometimes she would follow us. Like when we made the paper boats.

This was memory I locked away for a long time. I recalled it in P.E. in Melbourne. I was surprised to find it, because some of them are so deeply buried because it hurt too much to pull them out. Maybe I find more of them someday, lost in the channels of my mind and dripping down my spine. Some of these memories trigger me, which is why I used to hide them. Otherwise my life became too painful to be bearable. They’re slowly coming out. Slowly. It’s been almost three years, but I don’t think they’re done revealing themselves yet, crawling out from underneath their shells. I was lucky I didn’t cry listening to the Friendship song. It was risky. I could have unravelled and wrote this week later. But the lady in the video was so happy so I couldn’t cry.
I can see a near future here now. I’d want to say I’ve settled. I’ve gone used to the idea of living here. I don’t feel like giving some people the satisfaction of re-australia-nising me. Maybe I’m proud. Or maybe I’m Russian. I think it’s a bit of both. Ok, the three.

As I was saying, paper boats.

It would take a while before we went outside these times, because we’d have to fold numerous newspaper sheets into paper boats. Then we’d tuck them into the stroller, as well as my siter, and Mum would follow us as we blew the paper boats over the puddles, heading deeper into the woods. The puddles along the edges of the road worked particularly well because the dip created a nice current. We’d have races and we’d be playing for hours, replacing the soggy worn out boats with new crispy ones. Robyn would watch distantly. Mum would follow us peacefully. I think that the feeling a mother has when she sees her children happy, brave and content must be one of the best feelings in the world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog