So now I can tell you about camp
Okema and my 7th birthday.
Being the oldest child, you get
older faster than kids younger than you. And considering that, by the time I
was six years old -it might have been seven. I can’t remember whether it was
before or after my seventh birthday. But you roughly know my age. And I went to
this camp called camp Okema. I did have a little bit of help with that. Grandma
was the cook, so it wasn’t like my family wasn’t there. It was also a Christian
camp and my Mum had gone there as a kid and we went as a family when I was little,
but I don’t remember that.
Going by the forgive and forget
idea, I’m forgetting ( a.k.a not mentioning) something I overheard the
teenagers there say about kids. But all I can say is, don’t underestimate kids.
Each group had to come up for a
name for their group. Lots of groups made amazing things. We decided to make a
zoo. I don’t remember whose idea that was. But it’s the coolest, cleverest idea
when you are 6/7. At the end of the camp, there was a concert that all the kids
made. I was very proud of our not-so-well structured play but other girls in my
group were self-conscious and didn’t think it was that good. I ignored them.
After all, zoos are cool.
Since I was a tiny little girl,
I’ve been really good at sleeping. I still sleep like a log supposedly. I brought
along this quilt my Aunty Dorothy made for me when I was a baby and jammed it
in the gap between the mattress of the top bunk and the bar so I could make a
little curtain. I was very proud how I could pray by myself and even knew the
Lord’s Prayer. When I woke up the youth leaders ask if we had a good sleep
kindly. They asked if I had woken up at night. No, hadn’t woken up once. Even
though this wasn’t my normal home. But it had such a nice atmosphere I suppose…
In the morning the older girls
did our hair. I was secretly disappointed that their skills at plaiting hair
weren’t as good as my Mum’s. They still did. Being little kids they also
reminded us to brush our teeth in the evening. Back then my expression of “wash
my face” really just meant my chin if I got it messy while eating (I was
little!). They smiled and called me a princess.
We also did outdoors activities
such as when we played volleyball. I remember this time because the time seemed
to drag for ages, and by then I was missing Mum and Dad. Even now I still stick
pretty close to Mum and Dad in big crowds. Pj and Robyn run off a lot and ti
tends to make me freak out a little when we are somewhere big … still.
We even went hiking at camp. I
don’t really remember much but this other guy leading the way and just happily
skipping along. I think these memories were cut short because halfway through
it because I got stung by a wasp. It must have been annoying for everyone else
because their fun was interrupted. But when you are in pain it’s hard to think
about other people. I remember unravelling my sock where the wasps had stung me
the show a woman, and this man carrying me on his shoulders – I think it was
the one who led us- as I sobbed and egged that we would get back to camp
faster. I cried a lot and the guy carrying me tried to help me calm down. When
we got back, we put some cream on it.
For some reason the memory
becomes muddled and it half feels like it was me that the wasp stung, and half
feels it was some other kid. But I remember pulling down my sock- and I wouldn’t
do that if it was someone else.
I remember bragging about it
later. Though I suppose sometimes I don’t remember it being me directly because
that way I don’t have to remember how much it hurt.
I suppose I sort of feel like
it was someone else that got stung by a wasp because when Grandma helped doctor
up the sore it half felt like I was helping someone else see Grandma. Perhaps
that is because someone else got a microscopic scratch and wanted a band-aid.
After all, band-aids are great.
The canteen was also quite
memorable. Grandma is a great cook. She came several times to help out. I not
sure she was cooking every time. It was really nice to have Grandma there.
It was different form Australia.
When I made toast for breakfast, I could find both peanut butter and jam, but I
could find any vegemite. I was soon enough missing vegemite and it was strange
when your toast was constantly sweet.
Another rule that they had was that
there were no elbows on the table. It was more of a joke, really. The joke was that
if someone caught you with you elbows on the table you would need to stand up
on your chair and sing a song. It was pretty funny now that I think about it
but when I was little the idea petrified me. The crowd looked huge and I did
not feel like standing on my chair and making a performing in front of hundreds
of eyes. I think I even came up for a back-up plan on what song I would sing if
that happened – just in case. If I noticed myself resting on the table, I leaped
off and hoped no one noticed. It is hard to break habits.
I had a hard time explaining
why I had cried this time, but the grown-ups popular story is that I was crying
about not being able to eat a Canadian tacos. (They have those ridiculous shells
that snap and splatter on your plate. They take years to master. I still have
mastered them. Recently I just cracked the taco shell beforehand. It still
works to pick stuff up and that was what I was aiming to use it for.)
Anyway, so Grandma perceived I
was crying about the difficult taco shells. And that is the way Mum tells the story
unless I interrupt her and tells it the right way.
So, here is how it ACTUALLY goes.
As I’ve already told you before, I didn’t really know anyone else with my name.
Actually, I made a friend name Abby at this camp and it was like big news. So, anyway,
I heard the guy at the front say that Abby was going to stand up on her chair
and sing a song because she put her elbows on it. At this point, I freaked out
inside. I did not feel like bringing attention to myself. To make relief, some
teenage girl stood up and awkwardly blurted out a song. But I was still very
emotionally drained and had cried. Though it was a great relief it wasn’t me.
Just to let you know, my friend
Abby at that camp was not a teenager. Either she stood up or there were at
least three Abby’s at the camp.
Abby my friend had curly blonde
hair and a huge smile. We played together a lot in that short time. I don’t remember
whether she was in our group, but she probably was. At the end of camp, they
had this huge party and we got face paints together. That was really great. I think
we might have even got the same one. But I don’t really remember her. Just that
she was a great friend to have for a short amount of time.
There was a boy at that camp who
said his name was Jesus. This confused me because we always talk about the name
of Jesus being unique, powerful. I think his name was the Spanish version of
the name Jesus. Well, that was Dad’s conclusion.
Even though this confused me, I
wasn’t one to say “no, that not your name”. That would sound ridiculous, wouldn’t
it?
Another thing that confused me
was that there was a guy that was doing tricks with card he called magic
tricks. This confused me because I knew real magic was bad. Mum told me later –
or maybe it was Grandma then- that they weren’t real magic just tricks. That was
a relief for me.
At the end of camp, I got a
camp Okema t-shirt. As you might of guessed, it would be too small now. I don’t
have it anymore. We also made little booklets with letters from our friends so
we wouldn’t forget them (which didn’t work). I think it’s at Grandma and Grandpa’s
house now.
Comments
Post a Comment