An amazing thing in our world
is that even as small as people are - particularly children- God still hears
their prayers. Even when they are small prayers, requests for a something small
to help them settle in. For, example, an apple tree- a prayer from a five-year-old
girl (whose name might be Abigail), who also happened to inconveniently live in
an apartment with no private backyard in sight. So dear God, please find her an
apple tree.
I don’t know if
I've given you enough clues, but that is me. Except I'm no longer five. :)
I was lying in my
bed, about to go asleep, praying with my Mum. Mum reached out her hands,
listening. And then with the child-like faith that I naturally had, I prayed:
"Dear God,
please give me an apple tree."
The faith that God
encourages in us all, the one that was on challenge for me as a little child. I
did not think about how this was going to happen, where God was going to plant
it, if it would take up space. I just knew that God was bigger, and he would
understand, and nothing could stand in his way.
I probably got a
desire for an apple tree from my time in Canada with my Grandma and Grandpa.
Mum told me they planted the tree when they were a young couple hoping it would
grow apples for their children. It never got enough apples for that generation,
but the Grandchildren (including me) got heaps. Overall there were more
grandchildren. That is where I began to love apple trees. and I was missing
them there in Krasnoyarsk.
Mum was a little bewildered
when he heard me, scared to break it to me that that was probably not going to
happen. Where would they grow? It was simply... impossible. But she would not
tell me. How could she interrupt the prayers of a little child? How could she
teach her child the underestimate God? I always had a right to ask God. Even with
a seemingly impossible and useless request, God heard me.
But God does not
think the same way we do. Why would he? He did not give me one apple tree.
Not two. Not three. Honestly, I'm not sure how many he gave.
Walking distance
from out home, near the market, past the ice-skating rink, there was a forest.
Overgrown with shrubs and weeds, this forest would take your breath away. An
abandoned orchard.
And it had been
there for so long, and God knew that some little girl would want one.
Mum was so amazed
with this discovery. I was happy because I knew how much God loved me and had
answered my prayers. It made complete sense to me. God had heard my
prayers.
These apple tree
bring me happy memories, apart from those annoying clingy plants with prickly
seeds which stick to your clothes. But everything else was amazing. We would pick
the small apples, crab apples. Mum would take the home the apples and make the
best apple pie in the world. And applesauce.
He'll never let
any of us down. I know we can trust him with the big things if he can bother to
help with the small as he rules the universe.

Comments
Post a Comment